View Single Post
Old 11-07-2015, 07:21 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

So, kind of a funny story...

...I asked the LFS to let me know the next time he's doing an order that has Ignitus (Flame) Anthias available and I can give that another go. So I'm on vacay last week and not paying attention much and he texts me, "Do you want some Flavo Anthias"? I'm like ya, sure. In my mind I was thinking he mis-typed "Flame", and it didn't even occur to me that the Red Saddled Anthias is Pseudanthias flavoguttatus. So I go in there a couple days ago and ask when are the Ignitus showing up? He tells me they aren't Ignitus, they are Flavo. I'm like, shiat. They are a deeper water species and they are coming from Philippines so I was a bit concerned for their health/acclimation, plus I'm also worried they might be a shy fish in a high light tank like mine. Plus, I just don't know much about this particular species.

I did some research, and it seems like they acclimate both to captivity and higher light better than a lot of other deep water Anthias. It probably helps that they really aren't super deep - Fish Base says 60-200 ft. They get a bit bigger than I was hoping - the males will get a tad over 4" and the females not a lot smaller. The Flame Anthias is more in the 3-3.5" range. However, the Red Saddled Anthias females are almost as colorful as males.

So I go in yesterday to check them out and only one arrived. However, and that's a big HOWEVER, there was a trio of Dwarf Pintail Fairy Wrasses! I only brought one home though - a female that's starting to transition. SO STOKED! I've been asking my LFS to get this fish for almost a year.

So I get the two fish home and put them in my QT with some other small fish that are in there. Let me tell you, this Anthias is beautiful!!! Both fish are eating today. I can't wait to get them in my display.

Not my pic:

From Reef Builders. http://reefbuilders.com/2013/12/02/p...lds-aquariums/

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-07-2015 at 07:26 PM.