View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 03:26 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Well that sucks. Hows bout just sticking to water changes and stop fiddeling? Not trying to be rude or harsh and sorry if it sounds that way. I've had most problems when I was tweaking this or that and adding different supplements etc. Strictly water changes for me for the last couple of years and been smooth ever since. Good luck
No, I don't take you as rude or harsh. I wasn't really fiddling though. I wasn't doing anything that I didn't do to previous tanks. I was only dosing kalk + vinegar, nitrate, and feeding lots. If the corals weren't starving to begin with then I don't think the reaction would have been so severe. They were running on hopes and dreams because the tank was unintentionally ULNS. Adding the vinegar back into the kalk was definitely a mistake - I didn't expect it to make that much difference since I had been using it previously and it really wasn't much vinegar per day. Ok I did learn from that, "Don't underestimate vinegar." That's what started the STN (4 days after adding the vinegar back in). The sudden increase in lighting was mainly because of my unfamiliarity with the dimming feature of the new fixture and I didn't recognize the symptoms of alk burn because the corals were already STN'ing. There was also some significant health issues in my immediate family too, so my own tank was on the back burner. That didn't help.

I have some inexpensive frags coming from Canada Corals next week to "test the waters", and we'll be back on track in no time.

SPS fanatic.