View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 06:05 PM

Seth81 is on a distinguished road

I wonder if anyone on here actually has any legal background and not just an opinion

Anyways, the initial sales document doesn't mention a thing about the aquarium.

I think as people have mentioned, these people just want to extract every penny they can.

I met the husband during the house inspection and he said he had no interest in the tank, and that he doesn't know the first think about fish let alone reefing.

I am very tempted to have the aquarium off and drained by the time we leave the house, but I guess it costs me very little to have it running. And our lawyer was pretty adamant about having it in the same condition as when the saw it last (fish and all). It is really too late to get a new lawyer, but would love a second legal opinion.

And yeah the Calgary market is brutal right now, and if these buyers walked away, I doubt I would be able to sell again in time to be able to close on our new very expensive house. Their small deposit would be eaten away quickly by the high penalty like interest I would have to pay on the new place until we can sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMikey View Post
I'm not a real estate lawyer but:

What does your sales document say? All fixtures generally go along with a property transfer and any additional terms or conditions are written in (i.e. all appliances, microwave, washer/dryer, etc.).

At the end of the day, what does the contract/agreement you've executed say? If you put your signature to it, you've promised to uphold your end. This is a contract dispute, so a determination of your obligations will go back to what was written and what was said by each parties (although the written part is much more concrete).

Does the sale contract include the aquarium livestock? Did the purchasers ever say "we want to keep it all?"

If not, you indicated first that they wanted it all gone and had no interest in the tank. This is why you sold your livestock and (presumably) also tried to sell the hardware?

Sounds like you might want to go to a different lawyer.