View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 07:26 AM

F.H is on a distinguished road

I quarantine, and do a prophylactic tank transfer treatment (for ich) on all new members that enter my display. If done properly, tank transfer can almost guarantee to rid your fish of ich, even if you don't see anything on them.

I have a hippo tang, and I've never seen a single spot of ich on him since I've had him for about 8 months now. Same goes for the other 6 fish (knock on wood).

Some may find it a pain to be to meticulous about it, but I lost all my fish, when I first ventured into saltwater, to ich. Since then I've learned my lesson, and I'm willing to put in the effort if it'll greatly improve the chances of my inhabitants.

Of course, with this method, you have to be a bit more careful about anything you introduce into your display, including frags, inverts, etc. So you definitely have to be more aware of trying to minimize any possibilities for introducing disease in your tank by making sure not a single drop of foreign saltwater, regardless of where it came from, enters your tank, having separate nets/equipment as to not contaminate the display, etc.

As things go with all other aspects of this hobby, you'll find people that will say, and have experienced, the opposite. It all depends on whether you're willing to take a risk or not. Some people live with ich, have healthy fish, feed properly, and their fish can combat the ich on their own, given a strong immune system.

Just a thought, if you're worried about ich on your tang(s).