View Single Post
Old 09-24-2015, 10:23 PM

dusty16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishu_pepper View Post
The Xanthichthys genus (blue throats, crosshatch, sargassum, etc.) are known to be more docile and relatively reef safe. My limited experience with my blue throats is they are really shy but easy to get feeding. They haven't shown any aggression at all to other fish in the tank, big or small, and haven't touched coral and CUC. YMMV.

Also with the damsel topic, some damsels are definitely fine for a big tank like yours, my yellowtail just does his own thing. Some are meaner than others of course.
Triggers look cool but I dont want to deal with a bully. Maybe some day down the road Ill pick up a small one. And Ill drop by JL and see what damsels they have. I have a 30 gallon quarantine right now. Any chance they will pick each other off before they even get into the DT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokareefer View Post
As was pointed out, the Xanthichthys genus of triggerfish are known to be more reef safe and more docile, for triggerfish. They can get quite large though. As they get quite large, they typically become more aggressive to the point of them bullying. My personal experience with a blue throat triggerfish was that initially at 2 inches in length, she was scared of her own shadow, but then at 6 inches in length, was eating parts of the tails off my tangs that were bigger and being very aggressive to any fish during feeding time. I had thought my experience was out of the norm but when I researched more, I found more people had difficulties with Xanthichthys triggers when they got large.

As was stated though, fish are like cats and each has its own personality.
Yeah. I think Ill stay away from Triggers for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscez View Post
I had a stunning blue fading to purple pics never did it justice Niger trigger approx 5" nicest one I ever seen, and for the first 4 weeks was docile, then started to swim more aggressively and bump my other fish out of the way, then led to nipping the fins of all my other fish!! Back to J&L he went, shame
I saw a picture of your Niger. Looked pretty cool. What do you mean it went back to J&L? They accept returns?