View Single Post
Old 07-31-2015, 09:07 PM

5gluder is on a distinguished road
Default 5gluder's 55g peninsula tank

Hello,
I don’t normally post on here but frequent the forums a lot for information which I can generally find. Earlier this year I set out to build a 55 gallon peninsula tank. I previously I had a 33 gallon tank for 10 years, unfortunately a faulty heater cooked the tank. After a year I came up with a plan and decided to tackled it as my winter project….which continued into spring lol.
I choose to post this as a lot of my ideas came from tank journals so I figure others may benefit from viewing mine.

Day 1 decided this is the best spot to place the tank, the room is a bonus room above the garage.

Cut off the top tier to have a flat deck to work with, opened us under to check and see how I can run the plumbing from the basement.

I later decided that a 33 gallon was too small so I decided to widen the base…I also decided that the beige carpet was not complementing the tank enough so I ripped it out and installed hardwood everywhere

Following the electrical code I wasn’t going to splice into the existing wires(would have exceeded the number of allowable lights/ receptacles per circuit) to add receptacles for the tank. So I decided to run 2 dedicated wires from the panel

I received my new tank, 3 sides with starfire glass. I built a stand in the basement identical to the one upstairs. I wanted to do leak tests and figure out the bulkhead/drains in the basement before moving upstairs.