View Single Post
Old 06-20-2015, 07:57 PM

Grayout is on a distinguished road

One of the Hagan tanks was to be the display/growout area with the other one a sump divided by glass baffles. A Gyre XF150 would be mounted on the left side of the display pushing water down the length of the tank to a spillover. The spillover water flows through a bean animal overflow.

I really like the design of this overflow and the triple redundant features which pretty much rule out a clogged drain. Since I would be leaving this system for a couple weeks at a time it was important to have it almost fully automated. The next step was to start drilling the .5" glass to create the overflow and drain pipes to the sump.

I also had to fortify the existing metal work stand to cope with the heavy weight, so I built two frames that would be tied into the plywood top. After the sump's glass baffles were siliconed into place and drain holes drilled it was slipped within the wood frames on top of high density foam. The two frames allowed me to fit the sump in at an angle which would not have been possible if the stand was built as one piece.