View Single Post
Old 06-20-2015, 12:39 AM

Grayout is on a distinguished road

After contemplating quite a few shapes for a system that would be effective in keeping the water as clean as possible for the most finicky of sps I decided on a long and narrow glass aquarium. Many of the coral farmers/wholesalers are using long fiberglass/plastic storage tanks to effectively move water from one of the tank to the other. Those tanks can be rather steep in price, so I went with a similar idea as this farmer.....http://www.garretts-acropolis.com A long, shallow and narrow glass tank which would hold hundreds of frags while keeping water volume at a minimum and ensuring maximum light penetration.

So, I searched craigslist and found two Hagan 100 gallon 72" long/18" wide 1/2 glass used tanks which I could heavily modify to meet my needs.

They didn't look like much (I think they were from a LFS that closed their doors) but I wasn't looking for a show piece tank. I wasn't sure of their age, so I decided to strip all of the silicone and reapply which took longer than expected. After a week long leak test I was satisfied they would hold water and I moved on to the fabrication of the system.