View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 01:47 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Got to side with Mike there, that 1516 law is weee a bit outdated, pretty sure it was put in place to prevent substitutions for grains and hops which I imagine at the time in Germany were quite rare and expensive. Poison Ivy among other items were often substituted for hops for bitterness and an extra "kick", this was also of course toxic hence the the law. Now a days I'd like to think we have better standards in place plus being in the prairies no shortage of proper grains or hops. I will also point out that all the beers Steve recommended wouldn't meet the 1516 law since they all have fruit in them, which I find strange. What's up with the fruity beers Steve?

I do agree that the worst thing in beer is definitely the alcohol, which would essentially trump any of the "undesired" ingredients. Ultimately if you want healthy beer then you probably shouldn't drink beer or stick with non-alcoholic but where's the fun in that.

Lastly in regards to Okanagan Springs, it's comparable to Big Rock IMO which is no prize these days either. Both make decent beer but certainly not micro brew quality. Around here I find the best beer comes from Village and Last Best, both have awesome beer especially if you like IPAs.

So Steve, next time you're in town picking up purple gas, grab some village and last best.