View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 04:49 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

To me lifespan is a consideration, but not the only one when making a purchase. Any kind of high voltage (115-120 VAC) device in the salt water makes me nervous, so that was certainly a factor when I decided to drop big money on a spanking new 1st Gen MP40 in 2008. It had it's issues & I've done some upgrades to it over the years, but it is still going strong (& relatively quiet) in my 77 gallon Hagen. This is largely due to the modularity of design. Separate wet/dry side, new drivers compatible with original dynamic components, user replaceable wet side bearings, shaft, propeller.

Despite the poor design of the Gen 1 wet side magnets.

EcoTech quickly realized the error of their ways & came up with a new design. I was a bit unfortunate that I had purchased mine just before the design change. Nevertheless, I was able to easily replace the magnet with the new one for about $10 at the time. Newer wet side magnet with bearings/washers that I've replace for minimal cost over the years.

2009 & 2010 I purchased used MP40s to beef up the flow in the tank. Actually scored a couple more but sold them later, to help pay for new drivers on the ones I am running. No problem finding buyers for the old drivers either.

Currently I have 3 MP40WES ranging from 7 to 5 years old, providing plenty of flow in the the tired old Hagen. They actually seem to work better & quieter the older they get. I don't mess with them too much. Toothbrush to scrub loose algae off every month or two. Run in Tidal Swell Mode most of the time, switch to pulse for a while before every water change. If I want a gyre effect in the tank, they are capable of doing that as well.

Might be about time to consider a vinegar bath to restore original flow. Right side.

Center back, running as a slave but limited to lower speed due to narrow tank.

Left side, this is the oldest one that I purchased new in 2008.

I realize not everyone has had the same luck with these as I have, but I can only go by personal experience & they've been a great purchase for me, I'd do it again. I won't be going for the latest quiet drive upgrade just yet, mine really aren't disturbingly loud. I have this running my old skimmer, it drowns out most other sounds around the tank.

And I also have an old Hagen powerhead pushing water through the skimmer plus some larger ones I use for mixing up fresh salt water. They've been quite bulletproof and still going strong after many years.

No experience with Jebao at this time & not needed based on the gear I have now. I do run cheap generic 10 watt LEDs for lighting.....

Last edited by mike31154; 05-15-2015 at 04:54 PM.