View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 01:45 AM

Wretch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Are you willing to move into the interior? The pulp and lumber mills up here in Prince George, Quesnel, Fort St John, Mackenzie etc often advertise for Millwrights. However with the recent layoffs in the oil patch many skilled tradespeople have come back to our communities making it more difficult for unestablished workers to find employment.

I recently completed my Red Seal as a Carpenter and my experience is that no employers want an apprentice. They will hire a helper or a Journeyman but they don't want the hassle of administering an apprentice. If there is a union that will admit you and submit your hours to the ITA that is an excellent way to go. You may not get any work through them but at least the work you do get will be logged so that you can continue schooling and advance through your apprenticeship.
So far this have been my experience. They want you as a helper but dont want to register you as an apprentice or they want you to start in some production position with a maybe, possibly, might get a chance at an apprenticeship. Its funny cause everyone wants the journeyman but no one wants to help make the journeyman.

I dont really want to leave the lower mainland as I own a place here and wife has a good job here. So I will just keep grinding away hoping for the best.