View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 08:43 PM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
Right on...

Mind if I ask what you paid and why you went with this kit?

I like how Steves LEDs give you the option of the, building it for 95 bucks....you also get a few snazzy upgrades for paying the extra too.

Are you just running stock lighting now?
I've run 2x AI SOLs for 3 years now on the 110 xtall tank that I'm now shutting down.

For the RSM130 I'll put a build thread up soon, a few people have asked about it. The tank is dry so the lighting is stock but will be coming out. I'm trying to get it all set up exactly as I want it. Going to build custom reefscape with cemented dry rock as well. I'm patient (meticulous?) so I'm taking my time doing so.

I went with the 3 knob dimmer and Meanwell drivers. It was $350USD including shipping (with the extra driver). So I'll have 3 separate dimmable channels (1000mA Royals, 700mA White/Blue, 700mA Red/Green/UV/remaining).

The set of LEDs I'm going to cannibalize into the 3rd channel came from a aquastyleonline kit and to be honest that's what led me to picking the slightly pricier stuff as in my experience cheap drivers/LEDs are just not worth it. This isn't limited to reef work either. The LEDs themselves are passable but the driver and potentiometer are iffy and I wouldn't trust them for quality and safety.

I thought about the Storm controllers but even when I had an Apex I didn't use it to its potential, so I'll let the RSM timer do the work and just manually set the dimmers.

I've soldered lots of stuff in the past and am comfortable doing it myself. Recently pieced together a set of electronics repair gear so I'd like to break it in. (Variable power supply, decent multimeter, soldering station, etc.) I'll be replacing some batteries in old cartridge games too.