View Single Post
Old 04-19-2015, 04:36 PM

rishu_pepper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpower View Post
Hi Brian

The tank dimensions are 90x40x42 36g. It has a seprate sump in the back with 4 chambers. The tank did come with LED's however I don't belive they will provide adequet lighting for Sps. As im new I think I will start with a softie to get a feel for things.

That dbl pwrhead you linked looks awesome. I'll consider one of those in the future for sure. I seem to be getting great movement with the 2 pwrheads I have but always like to try new tech out.

I am considering a quarentine tank atm. I was thinking of picking up one of the small jbj 12g cubes or a fluval mini setup. I guess you just put in some live rock and saltwater and just let it cycle. How long domyou keep a fish in quarentine?

Jesse
Sounds like a good idea. I would say stay away from SPS for a few months since it's a new tank, until everything stabilizes. Softies like xenia and mushrooms are kinda cool.

Yeah maybe stay with the Koralias for now until you feel more flow is necessary.

QT is a great idea. I believe the general idea is just to leave it empty except a bit of large PVC/clay pots for the fish to hide. Seed it with a bag of ceramic media from your main tank then leave it in your QT. Frequent water changes to keep ammonia down (test often or buy a AM badge). The consensus is 4 weeks minimum in QT, with 6 weeks being a good acceptable timeline.

I'm fairly new too, the best advice I can give you is ask questions (which you are doing well!) and do lots of research, and patience is the most important virtue you can have. Happy reefing.

Brian