View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 07:02 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishu_pepper View Post
Sorry but I must disagree on this point. Let's say you put your 24-105, an L (professional grade) lens onto a Rebel (few hundred bucks), compared to a current gen full frame camera like a 5DMkIII ($3000), there will be a marked difference in the image produced, whether it's a picture of a person's face, landscape, or a fish and coral.

The differences in image quality such as resolution, dynamic range, noise reduction, etc. can be easily distinguished by any person. Not that I don't agree with your point in investing in lenses, that's definitely the right way to go, but with today's technology you cannot discount the camera body's importance as well.

I speak of these things with experience as I've gone through many camera bodies and lenses in the past 5 years. Currently due to work I just use a 5D2 and 1D3, with the 24-105 and 70-200 f/2.8 IS mkII. I don't have much of a preference for these lenses, they do weddings well, but if I had money to burn I'd buy all my prime lenses back. Prime >>>>>> zoom lens.
Yes, you're right in that there are major difference among the camera bodies. There is absolutely a reason why a camera is $3000 vs $300. What I was trying to do was simplify the discussion and put it in the contexts of taking reef pictures. You don't need 1D to take reef tank pictures that are identical to what I photographed. You can achieve the same results with a Rebel. I know because I have.

For example, taking a picture of a particular coral (say my Frogspawn or that Red Planet that everyone liked) at F4, IS0200 and 160 shutter speed will look virtually the same on any DSLR today.

I didn't intend to discount the camera bodies entirely. I am aware of the differences because I have owned quite a few myself being a former portrait and wedding photographer. It's just that I get asked ALL the time, "what camera are you using?" or "what camera should I get?" and I try to answer that question in a more relateable manner without going into the nuances of photography like dynamic range, noise reduction, etc :-)