View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 10:41 AM

Jaws is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't let the reach of a deep tank scare you away from doing it. I agree that I wouldn't want to go deeper than 30 inches because of reach and mainly lighting but the larger the viewing window, the more enjoyment. My tank is 7' long by 3' deep and 2.5' tall. The reason I went with those dimensions is proportions mainly. I wanted to make sure if I went with a longer and deeper tank that it didn't look shallow by only going 24" tall. If you have an open concept aquascape then there's not much you can't reach with your fingers or a pair of tongs. I placed my rock too so there's as little rock as possible touching the sand but lots of real estate at least 6" off the sand to place corals. That way most of it is easy to reach for you and your lights. Like everyone said though, the main thing is accessibility. If you're going to have the tank in a room, make sure you can slide the canopy off the tank if possible. A couple hidden door tracks work great for that. And figure out a way to build a 6" or greater lip around the tank. Oversize the stand or make it a bar/seating area but make sure you can walk around it if possible. Makes maneuvering around a deep tank like that so much more manageable.