View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 05:36 PM

KPG007 is on a distinguished road

As I go through this, I'm noticing some interesting reactions from the SPS that originated from that tank.

Days before nuke (NSW change) effected tank, it would have had an Alk of around 3 and Ca over 500. All other tanks would have been stable and within range (Alk 7-8, Ca 400-450)
- I noticed a few corals lightening up with very little polyp extension, so I moved them to one of the other tanks as a precaution. Unknowingly I moved corals from an Alk of 3 to an Alk of 7+. There has been no 'crash' with these corals. They don't look any better, but they don't look any worse.
- LPS looking a little PO'd Scoly's have pulled back about 50% and had a couple newer chalice frags die. Most of the rest is fine.
- Zoas are looking good!

Day after nuke (Alk spike) all SPS corals in effected tank have browned. Some are peeling. Again, unknowingly, I move some of the more valuable corals to other tanks.
- Corals from this time period, moved in to the good tanks, are no worse. Some that were peeling are still peeling a bit but it is a STN situation with those.
- LPS is looking even more PO'd. But I leave all of them in the tank.
- Zoas are finally looking a little PO'd. Opened about 75%

Two days after nuke, I figure out the problem and nuke it again, bringing the alk up from 3.8 to 7. My thinking here was SPS are already nuked and bring the alk up quickly into range shouldn't make it any worse.
- Some SPS in nuked tank continue to get worse. More peeling and dying.
- Again, moved a few more corals into the good tanks. A few days later and these guys don't seem to have gotten much worse.
- No change in the LPS and Zoas

The last few days (sunday - wednesday) the nuked tank has been steady as far as Alk. It settled out at 6 and has been rising slowly to 6.5 by wednesday night. Theoretically, this should be a relatively good tank now. Alk a little low, Ca a little high (I have not tested again, as it was out of range previously. I have stopped dosing until it comes into range. I'll test again tonight). With some die off, there should be a nitrite spike but it is a 300g tank and die off was minimal in the tank. Also most SPS has been moved out.
- SPS in nuked tank not improved (obviously. None of the ones in other tanks are 'improved' either), but some continue to fade including some that were brown, but holding it together the day before, are now starting to peel.
- SPS moved to other tanks - Not improved, but holding it together. A few that were peeling continue to decline, but slowly.
- LPS - Scoly's seem a bit better. It took a few days but favia has finally browned out. Torches have reduced polyp extension.
- Zoas returned to normal polyp extension.

So even though tank parameters are the same as the other tanks, there is still a lot of bad mojo still in that tank that is still causing corals to decline. Corals moved to other tanks (and effectively being nuked again) seen to be fairing better.

I'll post more updates as the weeks progress.

Last edited by KPG007; 03-26-2015 at 05:38 PM.