View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 06:25 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road
Default GFI saved my life tonight

So.... Cautionary tale to anyone who doesn't have GFI outlets on their tank.

I was working in my sump just now, trying to dig a piece of caulerpa out of my fuge that had fallen to the base of a pile of rocks. My left arm was in the sump up to my bicep, then I shifted weird and hit one of my fuge lights just so, knocked it off its hook, and it fell in the water perfectly right next to my hand. The reflector is wider than the fuge chamber and it normally shouldn't fit. It couldn't have been more of a perfect fluke if I tried.

I didn't feel a thing. The second it hit the water everything plugged in to that outlet blinked off. I unplugged the light, reset the GFI outlet, and here I am typing this all to you with nothing more than a good scare.

It doesn't even look like my fuge light is damaged. It's one of those super simple work lights with a CFL grow bulb. I've dried it off and it's good to go.

If that had been plugged in to a regular outlet my best case scenario would have been a serious shock and possibly a Mercury filled bulb exploding in my sump. Worst case would have been my family finding me dead tomorrow morning.

I hope everyone is using GFI, even though they can be a PITA.