View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 01:34 AM

Ryan7 is on a distinguished road

My MI success resulting from the following;

1. No QT. this fish is much too sensitive to any treatments. Furthermore, any QT that has been treated will not sustain any of the valuable food sources it needs in rock, sand ect.. which most people do not keep in their QT's. If the fish is to be in QT, keep it untreated and set it up as mentioning below.

2. Observing this fish in the wild on many occasions on different reefs, I noticed all of their feeding or "picking" was at the bottom of the reef in the rock rubble, no sand. When I set my tank up with this in mind, I made a whole section of the tank with a rubble bottom, about a 2x4' area. As the tank matured, I could see the rubble covered with sponges and other life. When the MI went in, it would not eat anything I added, and I tried everything. It did however graze at the rubble, which I believe sustained it long enough until it eventually started eating what the rest of the fish ate, which took about a week. The best part about the rubble, was that the MI could only eat what it could reach between the rubble, so if it was picking at a sponge, some of the sponge under the rubble would survive to grow back, giving the MI a constant food source, or at least one that wouldn't be decimated.

Had more but have to cut short - baby calling...