View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 10:49 PM

reefwithareefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihaivapler View Post
Yes I have.I have mushrooms,lps(hammer, octospawn, candy cane,alveopora, elegance coral,plate coral) and sps(birdnest, acropora,catpaw poci) and they are all healthy growing really nice,except for some sps,some of them they grow very slow but I would blame the lights for that,have led lights.I have them for 2 years now and I hado the uv on for about a year and I didn't notice no difference on my corals after I set it up.I think most off the fears about uv is not true, it doesn't kill the good bacteria,this bacteria lives on rock surface and just a small amount free swimming.I have it It works perfectly for me I have no issue with my fish, they never get sick and I have about 10 tangs wich are known for getting ich super fast but since I have the uv is disease free
This is untrue, it does kill good bacteria and micro organisms (food) etc if the wrong gph is used. Is it detrimental to a tank? No. Does it harm corals No. Yes, it does kill/control the ich etc as well, hence why we use it.

It just means you need to add typical supplements to the tank to replenish what the UV kills.

It is a choice, on whether you would rather use supplements/medicines or make sure your pump is rated for the UV sterilizer. I personally would rather let mother nature control the natural processes than have to add chemicals etc, never mind the expense etc, so I made sure I used the proper sized pump to kill ich and bad bacteria instead of killing the good stuff as well

The manufacturer supplied this info to me as well as the link explaining and showing what gets killed at certain GPHs