View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 01:31 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeschutter View Post
So what do you suggest for test kits. I already have my calcium magnesium and phosphate test kit but it's an API one. Seachem?
I really like Elos for all kits, but they can be hard to find, and a bit more money than the rest. www.reefsupplies.ca has the full line, and free shipping over $149.

I like the Hanna Checkers for alkalinity and phosphate. I don't like the Hanna Calcium kit - it's tough to get a consistent reading. You have to be VERY diligent with your accuracy in testing.

Salifert kits are ok. They are cheaper than Elos, and easier to find. I find the calcium and alkalinity kits read quite a bit higher than other kits, so if I'm using these ones I tend to err on the high side.

I do not recommend SeaChem or Hagen kits for anything.

Quote:
I was reading that only Seachem ammonia test kits work in a copper treatment tank. Is that true? Can I use my API ammonia tester?
You can also use API ammonia test kits and Seachem Ammonia Alert badges. Be aware if you use the Ammonia Alert badge that it tends to not actually be accurate as far as the reading goes, but it does work as an alert - as in, if it changes color there is ammonia, you just don't know how much.

There are two different types of ammonia test kits - Nessler and salicylate. ONLY Nessler kits are compatible with ammonia detoxifier prodcts (like Prime and AmQuel). API and SeaChem are both Nessler. I think the API ammonia kit is better than the SeaChem one.

Quote:
Apparently my biggest concern with the hospital tank with copper is keeping the ammonia down. So once I get the tank set up and I get my little penguin filter running I'm going to put a piece of live rock in the filter to start the bacterial filter. Think that's a good idea? Any suggestions on how to keep my Monias down?
Don't put rock or sand in with copper treatment - it absorbs the copper and makes the treatment less effective. It also makes it so you can't use the rock or sand with any invertebrates again - ever.

Use Prime or AmQuel to control ammonia. Use the bottle label for dosing instructions as far as how much to add on each dose, but you will need to do multiple doses. You will end up having to dose twice a day probably. The dosing is something like 5 mL for 50 gallons - you may need to dose that 5 mL twice a day.

Quote:
How much water should I change? How often? I know I have to be trying to get all the poop and uneaten food as I do a water change but should I do one every three days or two days? what is a good routine?
If you are using lots of ammonia detoxifier (having to dose twice a day) then you should do 25% water change every 2-3 days. If you don't have to dose a bunch of ammonia detoxifier (like later on when there is no medication) then 15% once a week is enough.

You should be bottom siphoning to remove uneaten food and fish poop everyday. Use a piece of rigid airline tubing attached to a length of flexible airline tubing to make a small siphon hose. You can bottom vacuum without removing much water.

Also, very important - you have to replace the medication you remove during a waterchange. If you do a 25% waterchange, then you have to re-dose 25% medication unless the medication package tells you different. Such as Furan 2 tells you when to do water changes and how much.

SPS fanatic.