Thread: GoPro reviews
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 08:39 PM

EarthEaterBob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
I have around $750 invested in my GoPro system and by the time I get some lights it will be at least $1,200.
This is why I don't like GoPros...too expensive for what you get. My Intova, two videos lights, macro lens, and rig (the latter two DiY) cost me....$400. Yup, the same cost as a base GoPro.

For the same price as your fully outfitted go pro you could get this:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wes...r-housing.html

With faaaaaaar better picture quality, housing, light, strobe, camera, and true macro capability. It can also take higher quality video as well. People may say "But look! This guy is taking macro with a GoPro." Sure, its possible, but extremely difficult and stretching the limits of what the GoPro can do. Why go through all that trouble when you could just use a DLSR+housing?

If you do plan to really go into Macro photography I highly suggest a DLSR+macro lens+housing+strobes and practice practice practice. Yes, its a big investment and difficult in cold water but you'll just run into frustration trying to take macro with these video cameras.

I mean compare mine...

to my friend with a DLSR...

No contest. Also, you'll definitely need a flood light for video and strobe for pictures. Spot lights don't work at all...

I love macro life and photography as well and plan to upgrade to a DLSR when I have the spare cash Just my $0.02

Last edited by EarthEaterBob; 02-13-2015 at 08:47 PM.