View Single Post
Old 02-10-2015, 02:00 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Part of me wonders if it's the units themselves then, because people who can't seem to get consistent results never do, while the other camp never seems to have problems. I actually have training in analytical methods and have spent an unfortunate number of hours in a soil and water lab, and I still can't get mine to work properly.

I had a period where I thought my tank was melting down because every week I'd test 0.03-0.08 ppm higher than the week before - even with fresh GFO, and even while dosing lanthanum. Converted to ppm, I was reading in the 0.3 range.

Then i did a sequence of tests back to back in one sitting. The levels rose by 0.03 to 0.08 with each sequential test! the reading was predicted by the total number of tests I had run in that vial, not the level of phosphate in my tank.

I did the acid wash (which melted the max volume marker right off), then did a dummy test with distilled water and still got a reading of like 16 ppb or something.

I promptly drove to Wai's and bought a regular PO4 kit. That appears to have solved my phosphate problem, as my readings have been 0.00 ever since