View Single Post
Old 10-12-2004, 06:58 AM

richtg is on a distinguished road
Default My two cents

The two most valuable assets to a succesful reefer, IMO, are patience and perserverence. Keep up with your water changes and you will eventually strike a balance. Keep in mind that lighting, nitrates, phosphates (including food and source water), and water flow are major players in the algae battle. I had a big problem with it when I started out, and one day (figuratively speaking) it was no longer a problem. I still get diatom algae buildup on my glass, but it feeds a lot of my reef every time I scrape with my magnets. I have also found that an active sand bed, once established, will pretty much maintain itself. I have learned a lot about that subject from Dr. Ron Shimek on reefcentral.com. I think that bio-diversity is valuable as well, but if you are just going to keep fish, learn more about the things I mentioned in the third sentence. Good luck, Rich.
90gal Starfire mixed reef, 400W MH (Giesemann 13K megachrome/Icecap E-ballast), (2) 54W T5 Giesemann true actinic, 45gal sump (65W 50/50 PC), ASM G-3 Skimmer, Mak 4 return, Sequence Dart closed loop, foam backdrop, 120 lbs LR, 2" sandbed, & 1 dillhole running the show.