View Single Post
Old 02-07-2015, 02:30 AM

warriorcookie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
That's because people don't know how to do it. They shove a fish in a tiny tank that isn't cycled or use medication that kills biological bacteria, don't use Prime/AmQuel/etc, and say quarantine killed the fish. No, the quarantine didn't kill the fish, the hobbyist killed the fish. Many people can't even recognize when they have done something wrong - no idea what ammonia poisoning looks like, or which medications to use/when.
This!

I've only had one fish in my QT die and it was when I did something really stupid. I never should have bought that fish in the first place, and the QT was setup completely wrong for that fish.

The most obvious issue is a fish coming home with a disease, which happens but I think is rare.
What I've seen more often is a fish that gets put into the display, won't compete for food, gets weak, gets picked on, gets sick and dies.

When I put my fish in QT it gives them time to recover and venture out and then slowly eat at its own pace. Once the fish is attacking the food without being scared of me then I know it's ready for the display. In the meantime I can watch for signs of disease and treat if necessary. I'm not a fan of random dips and medications unless there's an actual issue.