View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 04:59 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Keeping an Achilles alive long term is tough enough.

Having a second tang of similar body shape that he'll keep fighting with is almost asking for a dead Achilles.

Based on our past experience (several BC reefers) with Achilles tangs and how tough they are to keep alive and healthy, if you want to keep your Achilles long-term, forget the Naso and just enjoy your Achilles. The stress will likely kill it or at least cause it to constantly break out with ick or some other issue.

Everyone and his grandmother (figuratively speaking) has a Naso in their tank. Very, very few have a healthy Achilles living long term in their tanks. I personally would place Achilles up there with Moorish Idols as fish that are not really suited to survive long term in captivity.

BTW, my friend went snorkeling in Hawaii and the only place he saw Achilles tangs in the wild was swimming around the reef crests, with waves crashing and the waters super-oxygenated. This may help explain why so few Achilles make the transition to our reef tanks.

Just my $.02. Would hate to read you lost your Achilles due to conflict with the Naso.

Anthony