View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 06:04 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

Bacteria bloom is due to few things happening in a tank.My views only on what I have seen and know.This might be rambling so bare with me

With new rocks that has just been cycled and placed into the main display (if recipes been followed correctly) 1st lighting should be at a slow start instead of a full blast as this will get different bacteria from the cycle to bloom.

if curing rock in any type of tub with no lighting and high temperature and adequate flow grows the type of bacteria that will not fully survive under full lighting and that produces your rock to cycle again in the main display (one of witch bacteria bloom in the water column)

Any type of carbon dosing(too many to count the brands out in the market) is not required while curing as the rock has ample of amino to keep the nitrifying bacteria multiplying to the point of totally curing the rock)

Early removal of any dry rock from cycle period will get different bacteria bloom in the display,yes it is ugly but will dissipate in time given that the only thing running in a display would be the skimmer and carbon.

At any time the rock or a living thing gets removed or added to a tank or maybe re-aquascape there will be a war by bacteria be it noticeable or not.

Trying to keep parameters in check in newly setup system is never a good sign as a young system has to go through different stages and I believe by adding things you are only testing and playing with changes that leads to good and sometimes bad and unfortunately we don't like to spend more money than needed to,..

Bacteria in the water column could be removed easily by taking few steps.
Add filter floss for few days, lower the photo period of your new system, add good quality activated carbon and over skim, if a UV is available then use it at the rate by manufacturer rating. After few days passes do up to 30% water change.
By then you should be looking good and keep up with the activated carbon replacement as it get depleted faster than normal.

What I really find wrong is that so many people with new system try to ramp their lighting as high as possible rather that following a scheduled time or maybe thinking of what is in their system that requires lighting and how much.
Fish very little lighting, Softies a little more that what fish require, LPS almost 10% higher that your softies and so on,...But who wants to add LPS and SPS into a young system that is still in the developing stage.

I too have had a haze look in my system but that was due to over dosing on carbon (vinegar and Vodka) but cleared in a couple days with no water changes and no ill affect to the fish and corals, like mentioned above steps and clear up.

I highly believe in these items to have a successful reef display, oversized skimmer for future upgrades or if over skimming is ever needed.
Activated carbon, good quality always lasts longer,always check the MSDS sheets for your carbon to see the pore sizes and the surface area of it.
HC-GFO is a good choice to have but I wouldn't start with it from the get go as it gets costly too fast, Fozdown is a great choice for Phosphates removal I am sure tons of other product out there buts being specific to what I use.
Surface agitation is always required as it plays a big role with your fish health, coral growth and bacteria exchange gases.
Rock and or rubble is a must for bacteria growth as your system matures.

Really rambling now.