View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 09:16 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
About 5 years ago I contacted Jebao in regards to all their product line, was sent samples etc etc, none came close to what we had hoped, one was an micro tank.

I was contacted again when the WP came out but I simply could not put my company name to a company that blatantly copied another design switched names etc, as i said above we are not a company that is out just to make a fast buck, support, client care, and ethics run very high. Jabao was getting so much bad press I really did not want to be associated with it, I also did not feel I could assure its quality.

It also was not a company we could have any exclusive over they would sell to anyone including end users. This makes distribution on all fronts a nightmare, for example investing $25k in a shipment only to find a basement op buying 10 and selling at 10% margin. Distribution is not free So the risks were just too great with the product putting aside the ethical points.

Did we lose out? Maybe, but I can sleep happy with my choice and happy to have my reputation associated with some of the largest and most respected names in the industry.
OK, thanks, for responding. I understand your points about not having exclusivity. But don't you need a foot in the door, before you can ask for that? And isn't some business better than none? With your overall volume and contacts with the retailers, I would think that you are in the best position to build up those sales. And with that comes vol discounts and rebates,... I am sure you know the game.

As for ethics and legalities, I will leave that to the govt and the companies involved. There are laws, patent provisions and remedies that are available to anyone that wants to protect their rightfully proprietary assets. If Jebao or any other company flaunts that, they could be liable. On the other hand, just talk or threats do not make a case.

But you can't deny that Jebao has become popular (and has evolved) to become a major player in our business. And from a reefer's perspective they are very welcome. As you well know, keeping saltwater aquariums is very costly. The more we can reduce and keep those costs down, the better it will be for everyone, incl the vendors.