Thread: cutting tank
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 05:08 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Also make sure the bottom pane is NOT tempered (if any panes are, its usually the bottom). A tempered pane will shatter into thousands of shards (have seen this happen - cool but PITA to clean up without cutting yourself). My friends and I have cut panes of glass for baffles several times. Not too bad if you can score well and then snap. When a friend of a friend tried it with a tank, it didn't go too well. I will see if I can track him down and get a pic from that fiasco. The break curved as it broke and he ended up trashing the whole thing. BTW, he contacted a few local glass shops and none of them would touch the project, which is why he ordered a diamond glass cutter from eBay (or might have been Amazon) and tried it himself. I wasn't there but visited later to pick up a frag, just before he tossed the tank into the garbage. The only guy I know who successfully shortened his tank took the trouble to cut apart the tank first and then scored and snapped each piece. It worked but was again a total PITA project. Don't know if he ever researched trying to cut a tank that was still siliconed together.

Good luck.

Anthony