View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 04:28 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneP View Post
I was only dosing alk but then I realized I was out of balance because my alk was actually dropping the more I dosed and my Ca started dropping too. I dosed only Ca yesterday for awhile but then my alk dropped again too. I have got my Ca to 420 but then it is still dropping so I have continued increasing how much I am putting in. Alk was up to 6.4 from 6.1 but now my alk is down to 5.4. I am dosing too much alk? I have read and read and I have been doing water changes but nothing seems to be working.
When I called j & l I was told my system would be about 63 gallons so that is where I was getting my numbers from in doing a 20 gallon water change. I have my mag high because I was told earlier that it was good to have mag high if alk was low.
My test kits are all new so I now they are accurate. I am almost getting to the point of just selling everything because I am so frustrated. I am amazed that I haven't really lost anything, but my long tentacle anenome has not been happy. He has let go of his foot hold 3 times since this has been happening.
What are you dosing for Alk and how much over 24hrs? It's hard to help without the info , do you keep a logbook?

Stop chasing numbers and bulk dose to get your alk up if your target alk is more than 1dkh higher then your at now then spread the doses out over a couple days of you must , but the bulk has to be added.

Realize that as you add Alk and calcium animals start to use it , especially if they are healthy and growing , coralline being a big consumer so more Alk is now needed(fwiw this never ends)

High mg won't be a problem but low mg will.

You can raise your Alk by 1 dkh in fact you can do more but to play it safe 1 dkh a day is plenty. Healthy tanks can consume 1dkh to 3 dkh per day , dosing lots isn't uncommon.

Don't monitor daily calcium drops they arnt accurate , your test can't test that low and will send you adding more or adding less (chasing numbers)

Don't get frustrated , it's confusing at first especially when there's so much conflicting information but fwiw Alk won't rise unless it's added somehow , you have to add it.......be it through the salt or through the chems your going to have to get your levels where you want them and you'll then have to find a way to keep them there.

As a side note there are other ways to keep Alk and cal in check , a calcium reactor may be less headache for you