View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 03:45 PM

reefwithareefer is on a distinguished road

Hi,
The temp swings are in a 12 hour period. It is 78 at 8 am and by 8 pm it is around 79.6 and then halides go off and temp drops to 78 by 8 am. From what I have read, this is what happens in the "wild"

As for ammonia, it is less than .15ppm and Randy Holmes literature says that is normal, as chemicals such as mag, calcium, sodium carbonates have trace elements as can the salt. I use Instant ocean.

My water changes are automated at 2 gallons per day. I have a 180g DT, 90g refugium and a 55g sump. Total water volume is approx 235 gals. There is approx 80lbs of live rock in the refugium and 200 in the DT

The tank is approx 8 months old, but the rock is around 4 years. I bought different tanks and made one big one

So the algae issue is probably normal then? It has gotten worse, now that winter is here.

I have 3 250w MH lights. The left one is 14k and goes on at 10, then 1/2 hr later the center one goes on, it is 20k and another 1/2hr later the right one goes on, it is 14k.
I have 4 96 power compacts (2-50/50 and 2 Actinics)that go on 1 hour before MHs and off 1 hr after the MH shut off. No moonlights as the actual moonlight washes the tank as well.

There is no algae growing on anything else, so I assumed that the lighting schedule was ok. Maybe I will lower it to 8 hrs a day.

Yes, some say 9 hrs seems like a lot, then i have read that some leave them on for much longer. Not sure what is right or wrong. Everything is growing like crazy. As were the LPS until one day they started acting weird. I can not think of any changes etc that i made , for this to happen. The fish are happy, eating well etc.

The lighting schedule, parameters, water changes, dosing schedule have been the same for about 6 months now.

I was thinking there may be some kind of bacterial disease?? Being as the LPS seem to be acting strange or dying.

Thanks for the input guys.