View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 04:46 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
With respect to larger tanks needing dosing, I'm not sure that's a valid generalization. I haven't done the math & it would largely depend on the livestock one keeps, but the way I look at it, with more water volume, wouldn't it take longer to use up the chemicals than with a smaller tank? With more volume, you have a greater reserve of those important elements, no? Most of our systems are in a constant state of change, with livestock growing, dying, changing... so I reckon testing is a good thing, particularly if you've invested many $$$s in pricey coral. I think that's why I may be getting away with my lackadaisical testing/dosing routine, I enjoy my tank, but if I'm stressing over it due to a monetary investment, that enjoyment tends to fade quickly.

ppm is ppm so a 1% water change on a 100 g tank with a calcium of 450ppm Will replenish the same as a 1% water change of the same on a 1000g tank

In respect though the animals use this , so a larger tank may often use more and require more but only if the animals that use it have higher demand or are more in numbers which is common as the ecosystem is larger

A 100g packed sps tank will likely have more demand than a new 1000g tank that has nothing in it for quite some time, it really comes down to who uses it and how much of it they use each animal and species is different and have different demands