View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 09:40 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I've gone through a number of Mag pumps for a whole slew of applications as they are cheap and get the job done... but they are noisy SOBs! As they get older they start to rattle more and no matter how much you try to dampen them there is a constant hum from the tank.

I just put a new Sicce PSK1000 on my skimmer and I keep having to check to see if the thing is still on because it's so quiet. I think my pump allegiance is beginning to change...

From the Sicce on my skimmer I am impressed thus far with Sicce. On some equipment for work (which is in my office next to my bedroom) I have an Eheim 1262 - in general it is pretty quiet but it does have a fairly noticeable hum to it. Granted it's not inside of a tank stand but I can hear the hum from the pump in my bedroom.

Hmmm that is weird... First Mag18 was quite, used for 2-3 years. Changed to eheim 1262, as I wanted to be proactive and put a new pump in before there were ever issues. This pump was no more quite than the Mag, however it didn't have the power as the Mag18, so I put the Mag back in... Runs flawlessly and has always been quite for me.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk