View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 03:05 AM

Skim is on a distinguished road

Well its been a while since my post on the article that I read. Just to give a quick up date as to why I read that article. I purchased a Bubble Magus Curve 9 I guess in early spring this year and man what a Skimmer the stuff that it brought forth from the tank water was hard to believe. Up tell then I had a Eshopp 150 good skimmer simple easy to use and would get a nice dark almost black sludge. Well the BM 9 started to get noisy and is oversized for my 100gal+ sump, this skimmer is rated for 300 to 400 Gal and I believe it could do it, I think it starts from a 10" base and tappers to 6" neck. I was lucky it fit into my sump, I knew it would fit but to get into the sump was the trick. Anyhow started to get noisy and now am waiting for a replacement impeller so I thought I need a good back up and went to a local well semi local reef shop and wanted to get a Reef Octopus 150 INT well no stock and was asked why do you won't that piece of doo doo get the Omega 150 ( I did look at it and read a lot about it and was even considering the RO Prime ) its far better look hold the lid feel that look Titanium screws bla bla bla bling bling bling long story short I bought it because I needed the skimmer. He said he could get RO and sells them but said the Omega is a far better skimmer. So all the way home my gut is telling me NAY NAY ( John Pinette R.I.P ) and I get home, more bling bling the box what a beautiful box well if anything I have a $400.00+ box well open it, Flute has chip out of it, the air stem is snapped of and all I could think about was NAY NAY. So now I have to get a new Flute and I glued the stem back. So onto my review of my NAY NAY Omega Skimmer. I personally can not recommend the Omega 150 I would have to say save your money and get something else the pump is too big for the 150 the turbulence inside the cone is just nuts, does it skim yes, could it skim better yes. The reaction chamber is about 10" now I am talking the area where bubbles can be seen and about 6" is just swirling around and going nuts and that leaves 4" of true reaction area not much and its moving quite fast upwards. Anyhow enough of that so IMO NAY NAY on the Omega 150 for my fellow Reefers. Sorry I must say that it is the quietest Skimmer that I have ever heard.
I have just put an order in for a Reef Octopus 150 INT, I was considering the SRO 200 but I read a couple of reviews that said the Blaster pump was to much for the size and better off with the 150 so back to where I started from wanting the RO 150 INT and should have it next week.

Tell then all the best.

Mike