Thread: Unhappy Corals
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 04:30 AM

RMC is on a distinguished road
Default Unhappy Corals

Hi,
This is my first post on this forum. I'm new to the hobby, started with a used RSM 130 about 7 months ago. I have upgraded to the InTank media rack (loaded with floss, purigen and chemi-pure) with the Tunze 9001. Also added a Vortech MP10ES for more flow.

Over the past serveral months I have read and read, trying to take it slow. I quickly learned the important of Quarantine, after a ich outbreak. I am now ultra caution of anything I introduce to the tank, corals are quarantined in a 5.5 gal and fish in a 20 gal.

I currently have two clowns, 1 fire shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp, ~6 blue legged hermits, a conch of some kind, toadstool coral, torch and a green flower pot. Unfortunately, I did not research the flower pot before the purchase and have now learned they are very hard to keep and likely will not last more than a year.

I have tested all the parameters with the following results:
Temp - 79
Salinity - 1.025
Phosphate - 0.00 via Hanna Checker
Calcium - 380 (a little low, currently adjusting the C Balance dose manually)
Alkalinity - 143 (a little low, currently adjusting the C Balance dose manually)
Nitrate - 0
Ammonia - 0

Despite working hard on my parameters over the past few months, for the past two weeks my corals appear unhappy. The Toadstool is not extending it's polyps, or very patchy extension. The flow pot is about the same and now the torch polyps are shortening as well. Quite honestly, I feel I'm doing all the right things and still coming up short. My frustration is building... any help or advise is much appreciated. Thank you in advance