View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 08:49 PM

xtaze is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
If you go the VorTech route, you may wish to consider MP60s for a long tank like yours. I have 3 MP40s on my 4 foot 77 gallon and run them at about 80% in TSM as a master/slave group. The one in the middle of the back glass is speed limited to below 50% since the tank is narrow. On a tank your size with sps you'll need to run 2 MP40s at 100% at least some of the time, which means louder & more wear & tear. With a couple of 60s you'd be able to run them at a lower speed. Only caveat to that comment is that I've never seen an MP60 in person, so no idea what they sound like at various settings.

With the broad flow & undertow the VorTechs create, there's really no need to point them. Set them at a proper distance from the water surface to get the desired ripples for gas exchange & they'll take care of the rest. I also like to reduce the number of "live" electrical components submerged in my system, so the VorTechs cater to that preference nicely. I'm not a pro, but I've been running VorTechs for at least 5 years or more with no significant issues. I actually neglect them quite a bit other than an occasional scrubbing of the cage with a toothbrush. They are covered in coraline and actually seem to be running quieter as they age.... or I may be losing my hearing as I age....

Thank you for this awesome reply
LPS dominant mixed reef