View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 07:53 PM

Wildechild_01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
I am having issues with my 220v breaker kicking out and leaving my circulation pumps off. Problem is I don't know if it's a faulty GFCI breaker or the Abyzz pumps malfunctioning. And currently it's completely random. Any ideas on how I can test for either specifically? I have an electrician coming in to check the breaker and the load on the circuit.
First off, I just read through this entire thread and WOW! amazing set up, as for your pump breaker question, I am an electrician and here are my thoughts.

A clamp type electrical meter is the easiest way to see if the pump is locking up and causing the circuit to overload, in these situations it is often best to let the qualified professional take a look at it.

I do wonder why did you choose to GFCI protect it? Canadian Electrical Code does NOT require that outlet to be GFCI protected, often people make the assumption that because there is water near by we need the GFCI but in cases like this one the GFCI can just lead to added headaches if they trip and things stop running properly. It is a similar situation to Sump Pumps for basements, yes there is water involved, but we do not want that pump to stop running because there is water nearby.

My recommendation would be to have a regular 2pole breaker installed, this will eliminate the problem of nuisance tripping of the GFCI and if it is an overload situation the new breaker will still trip properly.

Hopefully the pump is not shot.