View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 11:17 PM

neoh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7 View Post
Sounds like your system should support sps and grow it...

- its possible your sps react to the large water changes with little growth (meaning they adjust to their current parms for a few weeks, then the parms change with the new water) Surely, after a few weeks, your levels fluctuate, it might not be enough to damage them, but could be stunting their growth. Have you checked your parms just before a water change and then after to see how much of a dif there is?

- If the whites in your lights have a high kelvin temp (14k +) depending on your sps, it may require a lower colour temp for growth (6K - 10K)

- Depending on your particular LED's (i dont know the specral output of yours), your sps may be missing a portion of wavelength that your led's are not providing, reseach has shown this to be all too common with LED's, I know I dealt with this issue with my lights also, this is why the newer lights have greens, reds, violets ect.. added to them. Google the led studies done by Sanjay Joshi on advanced aquarist (sorry no link) there are several of them.

- I have not used the amino acids you are using, you could try a different brand?? IMO, it's one those things we buy to aid our corals, but realistically, we have no idea what consentration is actually in the bottle, it could be water for all I know

Anyway, these are just some thoughts, a lot of sps grow soo slow for some, and take off for others....

ps. send me a PM if you are interested in viewing each others systems, since we are so close by, dont know of many hobbyist in Lander...
- I have no problem with coloration or keeping them healthy, but they certainly don't grow. I've had one frag in there for 6 months and hasn't even encrusted the plug yet! It's coloring up, but that's about the extent of it.

- I keep my whites at around 35%, with the blue and purples up to 85% max throughout the day, with a 6 hour period, with 6 hours worth of ramp up/down

- I have not checked the parameters before and after, but I'm due for a w/c today, so I'll do that today and see what happens. I'm not expecting too much of a difference.

- I know people are having good results with the UV module to the Vertex. With a $150 per module price tag, it's hard to justify when I need 5 of them, with a fixture that is already over $2000. I'll check out those studies.

- I know of two other hobbyists in Ladner.