View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 07:46 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

I'd take the time to plan your stand and sump at this point. You can get a metal stand or make a wood one, either will work. But, how you plan your stand may limit the size of your sump. You'll want big enough to hold all your equipment (skimmer, heaters, reactors, etc.), plus any overflow from your tank.

Your stand/sump will also determine your skimmer, you'll need room to remove the skimmer for cleaning maintenance. I've run my tanks skimmerless, but mostly after the tanks have been established (running a year or more). I can't remove my skimmer body from my tank, so if anything happens to the skimmer, I have to drain the sump, and do whatever maintenance is required in the sump, or take it completely apart to remove. A bit of a pain!!

You are also going to need a return pump (didn't see that on your list), to get the water from the sump back to the tank).

Watch the forums for sales, shut downs etc., you can get everything you need to start at a fraction of what you pay retail. (Except for plumbing parts, you should buy new). Sounds like this is going to be a good build, nothing in this hobby happens fast, so continue to take your time, acquire the things you need.

When you are ready to buy and unsure if it's going to work, ask the questions. This is a good group of people here, ready and willing to help out. Remember there are a lot of different opinions, so take what you want and leave the rest.

Oh, and what are your plans for lighting??

Welcome aboard!!