View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 07:32 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road
Default Rough summer/concrete dust

Well crap. Got in to the tank is an understatement. I just spent the last several hours cleaning the cabinet out. My dosing solutions had turned dark grey, you can see the line in the sides where the demo started, the carbonate crystals that collect as the level in the container drops go from bright white to dark grey in one line. I drained and cleaned them, but I'd wager several pounds of dust collectively settled on the water over the past few weeks.

I'm also a little freaked out that we've been living in the house without it having been properly cleaned a final time. I've changed out the furnace filters, but every day a new, fine layer of the crap settles out on everything.

Strangely, the one thing that doesn't seem harmed at all is a burgeoning population of berghia nudibranchs I didn't think had survived past the initial 10. In my 45th hour of emergency tank rescue work tonight I noticed one in the display. Then I noticed another. I stopped counting at 40. I might not have any more coral, but at least my aiptasia population should collapse...

I'm kind of grasping for a silver lining here.

Last edited by asylumdown; 09-17-2014 at 07:37 AM.