View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 05:33 PM

neoh is on a distinguished road

I plan the tank based on swimming room, and I think that has a lot to do with the bioload. The detritus needs to be extracted. The more fish you have laying waste, the more problems you could have.

If you were locked in a small room with a lot of people, that place is going to stink and cause you problems. Locked in a large room with a couple people, you're going to have a better time and waste management won't be an issue. If you are locked in a big room with a lot of people, but have a better waste removal solution, you will be a lot happier and only worry about that one dude who keeps eye balling your girl, as opposed to the carpets festering, and causing an ebola outbreak.

Double the skimmer for the tank size (400g on a 200g system) - carbon, gfo, waterchanges, rodi, and only feed the good stuff once a week (mysis, blood worms, etc.), flake once a day and nori once every other day.

I think as long as the system has good turn over, with proper flow to allow small particles and detritus to be caught up into the sump, then the rest is maintenance.

I had an understocked tank and fed three times a day, I had algae and high nutrients with an underpowered skimmer. So now I have an overstocked tank, feed less and skim more, and have no algae, no problems and perfect parameters. I also stopped dosing the unecessaries like reef roids, and other filter feeding material and now maintain better water quality.