View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 03:05 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
Yes, the generator cuts in about 10 seconds after the main power supply fails and switches off about 30 seconds after the power supply is restored.
The generator switches on every 7 days for a 10 minute period to perform maintenance checks. All automatic.
The size of mine is 13KW on natural gas. (14KW on propane) I have ours directly plumbed to natural gas.

The cost for it hooked up 6 years ago was about $4,000.
That does sound good and cost is reasonable,... if it all works as it should. At our office we had auto UPS and a generator back-up system. But I can tell you also that it didn't always work and usually required some intervention by our IT staff. So pardon me if I am a little skeptical.

I still have a real problem with a generator running in my absence, and not really knowing for sure if everything is working properly. I would still be stressed out about that. Maybe my fears are totally unreasonable, but just saying how I would feel. I guess I just don't trust technology..., maybe because I worked with it all my career...

I have had short (up to a few hours) outages happen in my absence, and no harm occurred. I do have my Apex running all my pumps and skimmer (with 5 min delay on start-up), and it tells me that I had an outage (also know it when I can get through on the internet). So far that has all worked fine.

And my son lives 20 min away, so if a serious prolonged outage happens, I could walk him through setting up my back-up batteries. I have not had to do that yet.

Anyway, like I said, just another thing to worry about with the tanks. At the moment, though, I have other issues with the tank parameters that I have to deal with, and want to get my corals looking good again.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.