View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 PM

Millepora_Maniac is on a distinguished road

HI Steve, I'm sorry to hear that your SPS are dying. I looked at your photos and I do not believe that the single celled thing you filmed is the culprit. (Sweet video and photos though!!).

To me this looks like algae that has taken hold now that the tissue of the coral has died. I could be mistaken of course, I am not a marine biologist, but your corals look just like the ones that died off in my tank before. they get green algae growing on them, and then as time goes on they turn into other kinds of algae like coralline.

I'll keep tagging along.

In the meantime, a few questions would help narrow down the problems with your SPS.

1)What temperature?
2)What lighting are you using, and how deep is the tank? what is your photoperiod?
3)What are your water parameters, PH, Calcium, magnesium, and specific gravity?
4)Are you using RO water?
5)How much circulation are you using?
6)How is your skimmer operating? size, total system gallons?
7)Could anything have gotten into the water by mistake, cleaners, kids playing near it etc?
8)When was your last water change? what salt do you use?

I hope things work out for you, SPS dying is always depressing and it can be so many different variables.

Good Luck - MM

90 gal SPS display+65 gallon mixed reef
GEAR: Korallin calcium reactor, bio pellets, digital aquatics controller, Tunze ATO, MP40, 4 x Tunze 6105 w/controller, Reef Octopus Xp3000 ext, 2x250w MH, Futura LED.