View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 04:24 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzo View Post
I want to use a SLA battery so I don't run the risk of either releasing acid into my house or burning it down. - Because - well - that would suck.
A heads up on SLA battery if you wish to use one. There's no guarantee that an SLA battery will not leak or burn your house down. Any electrical/electronic component is subject to failure. I recall disassembling a non functional computer battery backup that had a similar sealed battery in it & it was bulging out at the sides significantly. Not much longer & it could have burst and/or shorted out & caused a fire. Of course this battery was hidden inside the battery backup housing & looks like yours will be external so you can keep an eye on it.

Although flooded batteries need to be monitored from time to time, that's kind of why I prefer them. You can top up the water level. SLA will eventually dry out & then they're trash. With proper care, a deep cycle flooded battery will serve you well & IMO longer than an SLA.