View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 01:06 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road
Default Fighting Dinoflagellates..Time for the extreme

So after several months of fighting this incredibly resilient algae and trying almost everything I can with no success at all Iv decided to take the next step. I was trying to avoid it but it appears that i don't have any other choice. Iv decided to black out my tank for 3 days with no light at all. I have done a lot of reading on this and it seems to have a fairly high success rate. Here is a really good video showing the process I'm going to use. http://youtu.be/pk1UCB0dNKc Here is a pic of what my tank looks like in the morning, and then some pics of what it looks like by the end of the day.

I have had to take out all of my zoas and anything on my sand as it was getting smothered by the stuff. And i have to syphon sand every day. This to me seems like the next logical step. Last night I completely covered my tank in cardboard and black plastic and changed out my gfo and added new stuff. So today is day 1.

Any feedback or input is always appreciated. I figured whether I'm successful or not this would be a good learning experience. I will update this thread on sunday morning, after I uncover it and see if it worked. And if this is in the wrong section sorry mods, feel free to move.