View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 05:21 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I run three mirtras on a 62" x 32" x 32", there are certainly some SPS species that just don't do well for me but my water chemistry is far from perfect. LPS do really well provided you don't burn them with too much light and I'd say overall color is better compared to M/H only while fairly comparable to M/H&T5 setup. SPS growth appears to be quite low overall, especially for acropora. Clams do great in the sand bed.

They put out no heat into the tank as far as I'm concerned, I've measured the power from my heaters and it's virtually the same throughout the day and night when the room temp is kept stable. 80°F is almost 27°C so if you're still needing a chiller with LEDs you have other issues like inefficient pumps or an elevated room temperature. Also watts are watts and calculating electricity savings is elementary math. There is either is saving potential or there isn't, it will vary by application but it's not a myth or witchcraft.

There are advantages and disadvantages to pretty much anything you look at, for me LEDs have too much advantage to ignore but it's obviously just an opinion.

My advice is look at higher end fixtures like ATI or GHL. Other fixtures may fall short of expectations and not last as long as you would hope.