View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 04:18 PM

Scuba Diver Gal is on a distinguished road

We have been to Cuba 3 times...so it must be good. But personally I would try somewhere else if you are looking for good snorkelling and good food.

FOOD: The food all over is bland and is mainly rice and black beans and chicken or sausage...Not a lot of salt around there. You definitely get what you pay for going from a 3 star to a 5 star resort in the food (have stayed at both). If you go to Cuba understanding that the food will be mediocre at best, and the Cuban people eat the same food (or worse) then you will be OK. You will only come home fat from cocktails

BEACHES:
The best! Stunning, but no good snorkelling that we have ever found off shore...you can snorkel but don't expect too much. But the beaches are stunning. We stayed at the very first hotel from the bridge into Varadero and the beach was just OK. As you got further up near Breezes Varadero it got better. Way better. I think it was near the golf course.

SCOOTERS:
I don't recall seeing them or maybe we were warned against renting them, as in any foreign country.

CLEANLINESS:
I don't recall thinking it wasn't clean, so I would say it was clean...But you won't get as much of the pristine manicured feel that you get in Hawaii etc but it's Cuba, and they are totally different countries...

BUSY:
Certainly not like Waikiki...there is nowhere to really shop, other than a local craft market selling cigar humidors and other local art...Also, not a ton of restaurants etc where you will line up like in Waikiki. I do remember going to this wonderful restaurant in Cuba, wish I could remember the name because it's probably still there. They had bands come through playing music etc. It was the best food I had in Cuba and one of my most memorable nights. I think it was near Josone Park, which I loved by the way...

There are many other things other than what is listed above that I love Cuba for...

We got to know our chambermaids very well. The first few days there we noticed that every time we went back to our room CNN was on the TV. We found out that it was during the time of the Elian Gonzales escape from Cuba. Well his mother worked at our hotel as a chambermaid and was good friends with our girl. The only way the people in Cuba could find out what was really going on (this was before internet was so prevalent) was by watching CNN in the guest rooms. She had so many good stories for us. If you go take, soaps, toothpaste, toothbrushes, school supplies, etc etc for the kids and people...Also, we had travel mugs...well every bartender wanted them...not sure if they would sell them to a future customer or take them home to their friends. But they were an absolute hit!!!

After spending so much time there we got to know a local tour operator Walfreido. We ended up getting invited to his wedding. What a wonderful wonderful evening we had!

Every Cuban seems to have a side business. They are, for the most part, highly educated and underemployed...and underpaid drastically. So get to know them...

In my opinion, what makes Cuba so wonderful is it's people and their stories...and the beaches If you can set aside everything else you will love it. If you can't, choose somewhere else.

For some reason I don't have any desire to go back now though...maybe because I am not into the all inclusive huge hotel type place. And we are scuba divers...Although I have never been to Cayo Coco and Cayo Largo...

There is world class diving in a place just south of Cuba called Jardines de la Reina...watch this youtube video from 60 minutes It's my dream to go here...which is possibly why I won't go to the touristy areas of Cuba again...warning, watching this video may convert you to be a diver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2nMUnK7S-A

That is what I know about Cuba...