View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 06:43 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
Really? How much did you raise Mg by? Did you use a specific brand? I remember an old tank I had with bryopsis and it was only the Kent Tech M that worked so there was speculation that it wasn't the magnesium but something else Kent had in its mixture that did the trick.

How much did you raise mg by? I may use this idea on my coral/clam quarantine. As you said, a little late for the display but that's ok, half the fun is setting things up anyway.
A lot , from 700 to 1400 in one dose , wasn't intentional to kill algae but couldn't help notice it was all gone next morning.

Randy says its prob an impurity in the tech m that kills bryopsis but he also notes that a very large and sudden spike in mg seems to kill macro algaes of certain types , this was one of them

He also warns against going more than 100ppm in a single rise as besides macro algae other animals including inverts and more delicate corals can suffer.

I had no loss minus the algae so I think I was lucky , the raise was because I was getting tired of 10 ppm a day rise and going no where so I went a bit crazy and dosed a 5g bucket of chloride and sulphate.

The easiest way to tell is stick a Rick with algae in a bucket with heater and power head and nuke it with mg to see the results for yourself before going further

Worked for me and overnight too all algae was white as a ghost and melted away. It will come back though so I think I needed a repeat dose.

Remember it's not the high level but the mass jump in mg.

Bryopsis is a different story