View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 04:28 PM

Masonjames is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrazorguy View Post
I'm about to do an upgrade, and I will be replacing the sand.

Still, has anybody encountered this level of inconsistency? From 0.05 to 0.5 within a couple of weeks? And then back to below 0.1 ppm?
Seeing as a system is bacterial driven its not alarming to see levels fluctuate depending on the bacterial processing working within. I do agree with the information and suggestions others have provided, but additionally the constant inconsistency and fluctuations you report makes me wonder if you have a nutrient imbalance which is making reducing your p levels a real challenge. What is your no3 at? I'm curious to know if you are nitrate limited? Your system could just be extremely efficient at processing no3 as It was a pre established system, being lightly stocked, and some of the means you are employing to control nutrient levels. This could also line up with the fluctuations you are seeing and a heavy feeding a few days before you test or slack on cleanings could actually result in decreased levels of po4. Whereas in an attempt to keep po4 low you reduce and limit feeding or do an aggressive cleaning etc. on a given day which could result in an increased level of po4. No3 must be present to reduce po4, bacterial speaking. Limited N to process, limited P being processed. No extra N to process, no more P being processed. But If you do have elevated nitrate levels then the above should not be an issue and you should continue to aggressively go after p just as you are and if you follow the advice others have given you will slowly get levels where you want them. If you are nitrate limited then you may have to make additional changes elsewhere along with what was suggested by others.