View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 04:54 AM

clownin about is on a distinguished road

I used free software called “sketchup” to draw up some of the parameters. The upper corners on the back of the tank were to be drilled for two 1 1/4” holes for the return bulkheads & the middle 24 inches were notched 2” for the weir. Once I was satisfied with my design I ordered the glass & had most of the visible edges polished & beveled. The front will be Starfire, the rest is all regular 12mm float except the external overflow which is made with 10mm. Once I brought the glass home it was time for assembly. After a bit of research I decided to use GE SCS1200 construction silicone, so I went & purchased some clear for this project. It had been a while since I had last built an aquarium, so I was a little rusty. I first placed the front Starfire pane onto the bottom piece which was on the floor on top of a piece of styro & used my aquarium stand to act as a horizontal brace to lean the front pane against. After masking, applying the silicone & cleaning off the excess goop it was time to relax & wait for it to cure a bit...Houston, we have a problem. It appears the rear pane had somehow shifted approx. 1/8” over & was no longer perfectly sitting on the bottom pane, slightly overhanging it. I could have left it but being a somewhat picky bastard I decided to take it all apart & redo it. Oh the fun! Here are some photos of the dis-assembly: