View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 04:43 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

So I picked up the Vertex and it works great, however one small problem is I am using the sponge filter at the top end which eventually plugs and needs to be cleaned. What is this mesh screen from Michaels you refer to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
I also use a Vertex, the older UF20 model. Only have to touch it when topping up bio pellets, never for cleaning. Since my nitrates have been consistently at zero for such a long time, my bio pellet consumption has almost stopped. Last time I had mine open (to add pellets) was in Nov/2012, which is well over a year ago.

I used to fill it almost to the top, which is a complete 1000 ml bag. Now there is only about 1/2 cup on the bottom left, and just keep a gentle tumble going with that. I use a mesh screen filter from Michael's to keep the pellets from exiting the reactor. You can also get a Vertex screen designed for this reactor to do the same.

I don't use a separate pump. The input line is T'ed off my return pump and flow and tumble is controlled by the reactor's ball valve on the input side.